Republic of the Sudan is an Arab-African country. The current flag of the State was adopted on May 20, 1970 and contains three horizontal colors: red, black and white with a green triangle on the left.
Location & Area:
- Sudan is located in northeastern Africa. It is bordered by Eritrea and Ethiopia to the east, Egypt and Libya to the north, the Central African Republic and Chad to the west and South Sudan to the south.
- It is the third largest country in Africa in terms of area. It covers an area of 1,865,813 km2.
Khartoum, which consists of three cities:
- Khartoum: The political capital;
- Omdurman: The national capital;
- Khartoum North (Bahri): The industrial capital.
- On January 1, 1956, Sudan celebrates its national day after its independence from Egypt and England.
- Hot and dry; arid desert; rainy season varies by region (April to November).
- Generally flat, featureless plain; desert dominates the north.
- 40,000,000 (2016 estimate).
- Arabic (official), English and other local languages
- Sudanese pound (SDP)
- Transitional Constitution of 2005
- According to the transitional Constitution of 2005, the national executive power is formed of the Presidency of the Republic and the Cabinet of Ministers. The President is elected in direct national elections in accordance with the law and the regulations of the National Election Commission. The President is the Head of State and Head of Government. President Omar Hassan al-Bashir is the President of Sudan. First Vice President is Bakri Hassan Salih; Second Vice President is Osman Kibir; Prime Minister is Mutaz Musa.
The Legislative Power
- The legislative power is formed of the National Assembly which has 426 seats.
- The judicial system was established in 1899 and is independent from both executive and legislative branches of government. Chief Justice is the Head of the Judicial Power and Head of the Supreme National Court.
President of Sudan:
- Omar al-Bashir
National income resources:
- Agriculture represents 80% of population activity.
- Mining and oil.
Textile - cement - edible oils - sugar - soap - leather products - foodstuffs - mining and manufacturing industries.
- Sudan is a member of many international and regional organizations such as: United Nations (UN), International Labor Organization (ILO), United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and African Union (AU).