Tuesday, March 26, 2019
Location & Area:
- Officially, the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, it is located in Northern Africa (longitude: 12 East and 9 West; latitude: 19 and 37 north, bordering the Mediterranean to the north, Tunisia and Libya to the east, Mali and Niger to the south, Mauritania and Morocco to the west.
- It covers an area of 2,381,740 sq km.
- November 1
- July 5, 1962
- It is Mediterranean in the northern parts and temperature varies from 12C in winter and 14-30 C in summer; in the south, it is a desert climate with temperature degrees that vary from 10 C in winter and 40-50 C in summer.
- 41,657,488 (July 2018 estimates)
- Arabic (official);
- Algeria’s flag features a red crescent and a red five-pointed star against two equal vertical bands of green and white in the background.
- Algerian dinar
- It is divided into 48 provinces: Adrar, Ain Defla, Ain Temouchent, Alger, Annaba, Batna, Bechar, Bejaia, Biskra, Blida, Bordj Bou Arreridj, Bouira, Boumerdes, Chlef, Constantine, Djelfa, El Bayadh, El Oued, El Tarf, Ghardaia, Guelma, Illizi, Jijel, Khenchela, Laghouat, Mascara, Medea, Mila, Mostaganem, M'Sila, Naama, Oran, Ouargla, Oum el Bouaghi, Relizane, Saida, Setif, Sidi Bel Abbes, Skikda, Souk Ahras, Tamanrasset, Tebessa, Tiaret, Tindouf, Tipaza, Tissemsilt, Tizi Ouzou and Tlemcen.
- The first constitution was drafted in 1962 after independence and was promulgated in 1963 after a public referendum. In 1989, key amendments were introduced to the constitution to allow multi-party elections for the first time.
- Presidential Republic
President of Algeria:
- Abdelaziz Bouteflika
- The President is elected by absolute majority popular vote for a five-year term with a two-term limit.
- Bicameral parliament that consists of: The Council of the Nation (the upper house with 144 seats) and the National People’s Assembly (the lower house with 462 seats).
- Algeria’s natural resources consist of petroleum, natural gas, iron ore, phosphates, uranium, lead and zinc. Algeria has oil reserves of 12.3 billion barrels. Proven natural gas reserves are estimated at 161.7 trillion cubic feet, the tenth largest in the world and the country is the six largest gas exporter in the world.
- Agriculture products include: Wheat, barley, oats, grapes, olives, citrus, fruits; sheep and cattle
- Industries: Petroleum, natural gas, light industries, mining, electrical, petrochemical and food processing.
- Main exports: Petroleum, natural gas, iron and steel and phosphate.
- Main imports: food products, building machinery and equipment, cars and ready-made garment.