Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Location & Area:
- Officially, the Republic of Botswana, it is a landlocked country in Southern Africa. It is bordered by South Africa to the south and southeast, Namibia to the west and north and Zimbabwe to the northeast. The country’s name means the Land of Tswana, referring to the major ethnic group there.
- It covers an area of 581,730 sq km ((224,607 sq miles).
- September 30
- It is a semi-arid. Though it is hot and dry for much of the year, there is a rainy season, which runs through the summer months. Rainfall tends to be erratic, unpredictable and highly regional. Often a heavy downpour may occur in one area while 10 or 15 kilometres away there is no rain at all.
- Predominantly flat to gently rolling tableland; Kalahari Desert in southwest.
- 2,249,104 (July 2018 estimate)
- English (Official);
- Botswana’s flag is light blue with a horizontal white-edged black stripe in the center.
- It is divided into 10 districts includes; Central, Chobe, Ghanzi, Kgalagadi, Kgatleng, Kweneng, North East, North West, South East and Southern and 6 town councils includes; Francistown, Gaborone, Jwaneng, Lobatse, Selebi-Phikwe and Sowa Town.
- The previous one was in 1960 pre-independence; latest adopted in March 1965 and effective on September 30, 1966.
- Parliamentary Republic
President of Botswana:
- Mokgweetsi Masisi
- Parliament of Botswana is unicameral: The National Assembly consists of 63 seats, 57 directly elected in single-seat constituencies and 4 appointed by the President. There is, however, an advisory body to the National Assembly called the House of Chiefs that consists of 35 members.
- Diamonds, copper, nickel, salt, soda ash, potash, coal, iron ore and silver.
- Agriculture products: Livestock, sorghum, maize, millet, beans, sunflowers and groundnuts.
- Industries: Diamonds, copper, nickel, salt, soda ash, potash, coal, iron ore, silver; beef processing; textiles.
- Main exports: Diamonds, copper, nickel, soda ash, meat, machinery and electrical equipment.
- Main imports: Foodstuffs, machinery and electrical equipment, vehicles and transport equipment, chemicals and rubber products, textiles, fuel and petroleum products, diamonds, wood and paper products, metal and metal products.