Burundi is a landlocked country in the African Great Lakes region, south of Rwanda.
Location & Area:
- Central-East Africa, between Tanzania, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- It covers an area of 27,834 km2.
- Gitega (New Capital)
- July 1 (Independence Day)
- Equatorial; high plateau with considerable altitude variation (772 m to 2,670 m above sea level); average annual temperature varies with altitude from 23 to 17 degrees Celsius but is generally moderate as the average altitude is about 1,700 m; average annual rainfall is about 150 cm; two wet seasons (February to May and September to November), and two dry seasons (June to August and December to January).
- Hilly and mountainous, dropping to a plateau in east, some plains.
- 11,844,520 (July 2018 estimate)
- Rundi and Swahili.
- Burundi’s flag is divided by a white diagonal cross into red panels (top and bottom) and green panels (hoist side and fly side) with a white disk superimposed at the center bearing three red six-pointed stars outlined in green arranged in a triangular design (one star above, two stars below).
- Burundian franc (BIF)
- It is divided into 18 provinces includes; Bubanza, Bujumbura Mairie, Bujumbura Rural, Bururi, Cankuzo, Cibitoke, Gitega, Karuzi, Kayanza, Kirundo, Makamba, Muramvya, Muyinga, Mwaro, Ngozi, Rumonge, Rutana and Ruyigi.
- It is adopted by referendum on May 17, 2018 and promulgated on June 7, 2018
- Presidential Republic
President of Burundi:
- Pierre Nkurunziza
- Nickel, uranium, rare earth oxides, peat, cobalt, copper, platinum, vanadium, arable land, hydropower, niobium, tantalum, gold, tin, tungsten, kaolin and limestone.
- Agriculture products: Coffee, cotton, tea, corn, beans, sorghum, sweet potatoes, bananas, cassava (manioc, tapioca); beef, milk and hides.
- Industries: Light consumer goods (sugar, shoes, soap, beer); cement, assembly of imported components; public works construction and food processing (fruits).
- Main exports: Coffee, tea, sugar, cotton and hides.
- Main imports: Capital goods, petroleum products and foodstuffs.