Cape Verde, officially the Republic of Cabo Verde, is an island country spanning an archipelago of 10 volcanic islands in the central Atlantic Ocean.
Location & Area:
- Western Africa, group of islands in the North Atlantic Ocean, west of Senegal.
- It covers an area of 4,033 km2.
- July 5
- Temperate; warm, dry summer; precipitation meager and erratic.
- Steep, rugged, rocky and volcanic.
- 568,373 (July 2018 estimate)
- Portuguese (official);
- Crioulo (a blend of Portuguese and West African words);
- Kabuverdianu (a Portuguese based Cape Verdean Creole).
- Cape Verdean flag is five unequal horizontal bands; the top-most band of blue - equal to one half the width of the flag - is followed by three bands of white, red, and white, each equal to 1/12 of the width, and a bottom stripe of blue equal to one quarter of the flag width; a circle of 10 yellow, five-pointed stars is centered on the red stripe and positioned 3/8 of the length of the flag from the hoist side.
- Cape Verdean escudo (CVE)
- It is divided into 22 municipalities includes; Boa Vista, Brava, Maio, Mosteiros, Paul, Porto Novo, Praia, Ribeira Brava, Ribeira Grande, Ribeira Grande de Santiago, Sal, Santa Catarina, Santa Catarina do Fogo, Santa Cruz, Sao Domingos, Sao Filipe, Sao Lourenco dos Orgaos, Sao Miguel, Sao Salvador do Mundo, Sao Vicente, Tarrafal and Tarrafal de Sao Nicolau.
- It is latest effective on September 25, 1992.
- Parliamentary Republic
President of Cape Verde:
- Jorge Carlos Fonseca
- Salt, basalt rock, limestone, kaolin, fish, clay and gypsum.
- Agriculture products: Bananas, corn, beans, sweet potatoes, sugarcane, coffee, peanuts and fish.
- Industries: Food and beverages, fish processing, shoes and garments, salt mining, ship repair.
- Main exports: Fuel (re-exports), shoes, garments, fish and hides.
- Main imports: Foodstuffs, industrial products, transport equipment and fuels.