The Democratic Republic of the Congo also known as DR Congo is a large republic in Central Africa.
Location & Area:
- It is bordered by Angola in the southwest, Burundi and Rwanda in the east, the Central African Republic in the north, the Republic of Congo in the west, Zambia in the south, Tanzania in the east, and South Sudan in the northeast.
- It covers an area of 2,344,858 km2.
- June 30 (Independence Day)
- Tropical; hot and humid in equatorial river basin; cooler and drier in southern highlands; cooler and wetter in eastern highlands; north of Equator - wet season (April to October), dry season (December to February); south of Equator - wet season (November to March), dry season (April to October).
- Vast central basin is a low-lying plateau; mountains in east
- 85,281,024 (July 2018 estimate)
- French (official);
- Lingala (a lingua franca trade language);
- Kingwana (a dialect of Kiswahili or Swahili);
- DR Congo’s flag is sky blue field divided diagonally from the lower hoist corner to upper fly corner by a red stripe bordered by two narrow yellow stripes; a yellow, five-pointed star appears in the upper hoist corner.
- Congolese Franc (CDF)
- It is divided into 26 provinces includes; Bas-Uele (Lower Uele), Equateur, Haut-Katanga (Upper Katanga), Haut-Lomami (Upper Lomami), Haut-Uele (Upper Uele), Ituri, Kasai, Kasai-Central, Kasai-Oriental (East Kasai), Kinshasa, Kongo Central, Kwango, Kwilu, Lomami, Lualaba, Mai-Ndombe, Maniema, Mongala, Nord-Kivu (North Kivu), Nord-Ubangi (North Ubangi), Sankuru, Sud-Kivu (South Kivu), Sud-Ubangi (South Ubangi), Tanganyika, Tshopo and Tshuapa.
- It is latest adopted on May 13, 2005, approved by referendum on December 18-19, 2005 and promulgated on February 18, 2006.
- Semi-Presidential Republic
- Cobalt, copper, niobium, tantalum, petroleum, industrial and gem diamonds, gold, silver, zinc, manganese, tin, uranium, coal, hydropower and timber.
- Agriculture products: Coffee, sugar, palm oil, rubber, tea, cotton, cocoa, quinine, cassava (manioc, tapioca), bananas, plantains, peanuts, root crops, corn, fruits and wood products.
- Industries: Mining (copper, cobalt, gold, diamonds, coltan, zinc, tin, tungsten), mineral processing, consumer products (textiles, plastics, footwear, cigarettes), metal products, processed foods and beverages, timber, cement and commercial ship repair.
- Main exports: Diamonds, copper, gold, cobalt, wood products, crude oil and coffee.
- Main imports: Foodstuffs, mining and other machinery, transport equipment and fuels.