Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia is a landlocked country located in the Horn of Africa.
Location & Area:
- Eastern Africa, west of Somalia
- It covers an area of 1.104 million square kilometers.
- Addis Ababa, which is also the seat of the African Union (AU) and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).
- May 28
- Temperate in the highlands, ranging from 20°C to 30°C (68°F to 86°F) and hot in the lowlands, often reaching 45°C (113°F). Rainfall ranges from 200 mm to 2000 mm.
- High plateau with central mountain range divided by Great Rift Valley
- Approximately 90.5 per square kilometer (2017)
- Amharic is the working language of the federal government, while Oromiffa and Tigrigna are widely spoken. English is taught in schools and is the main business language.
- Ethiopian flag is three equal horizontal bands of green (top), yellow, and red, with a yellow pentagram and single yellow rays emanating from the angles between the points on a light blue disk centered on the three bands.
- Ethiopian birr (ETB)
- it is divided into 9 ethnically based regional states includes; Afar, Amara (Amhara), Binshangul Gumuz, Gambela Hizboch (Gambela Peoples), Hareri Hizb (Harari People), Oromiya (Oromia), Sumale (Somali), Tigray and Ye Debub Biheroch Bihereseboch na Hizboch (Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples) and 2 self-governing administrations includes; Adis Abeba (Addis Ababa) and Dire Dawa.
- Latest drafted on June 1994, adopted on December 8, 1994 and entered into force on August 21, 1995.
- Federal Parliamentary Republic
- Federal State with multi-party system
President of Ethiopia:
- Sahle-Work Zewde
- Small reserves of gold, platinum, copper, potash, natural gas and hydropower.
- Agriculture products: Cereals, coffee, oilseed, cotton, sugarcane, vegetables, khat, cut flowers; hides, cattle, sheep, goats and fish.
- Industries: Food processing, beverages, textiles, leather, garments, chemicals, metals processing and cement.
- Main exports: Coffee (27%, by value), oilseeds (17%), edible vegetables including khat (17%), gold (13%), flowers (7%), live animals (7%), raw leather products (3%) and meat products (3%).
- Main imports: Machinery and aircraft (14%, by value), metal and metal products, (14%), electrical materials, (13%), petroleum products (12%), motor vehicles, (10%) and chemicals and fertilizers (4%).