Madagascar is the largest African island situated in the Indian Ocean, about 450 km (280 mi) east of the coast of Mozambique.
Location & Area:
- Southern Africa, island in the Indian Ocean, east of Mozambique.
- It covers an area of 587,041 km2.
- June 26 (Independence Day)
- Tropical along coast, temperate inland, arid in south.
- Narrow coastal plain, high plateau and mountains in center.
- 25,683,610 (July 2018 estimate)
- French (official);
- Malagasy (official);
- Madagascar’s flag is two equal horizontal bands of red (top) and green with a vertical white band of the same width on hoist side
- Malagasy ariary (Ar)
- It is divided into 6 provinces includes; Antananarivo, Antsiranana, Fianarantsoa, Mahajanga, Toamasina and Toliara.
- It is latest passed by referendum on November 17, 2010 and promulgated on December 11, 2010.
- Semi-Presidential Republic
President of Madagascar:
- Andry Rajoelina
- Graphite, chromite, coal, bauxite, rare earth elements, salt, quartz, tar sands, semiprecious stones, mica, fish and hydropower.
- Agriculture products: Coffee, vanilla, sugarcane, cloves, cocoa, rice, cassava (manioc, tapioca), beans, bananas, peanuts and livestock products.
- Industries: Meat processing, seafood, soap, beer, leather, sugar, textiles, glassware, cement, automobile assembly plant, paper, petroleum, tourism and mining.
- Main exports: Coffee, vanilla, shellfish, sugar, cotton cloth, clothing, chromite, petroleum products, gems, ilmenite, cobalt and nickel.
- Main imports: Capital goods, petroleum, consumer goods and food.