Republic of Mauritius is an island nation in the Indian Ocean about 2,000 kilometers off the southeast coast of the African continent. The country includes the island of Mauritius, Rodrigues 560 kilometers east, the islands of Agalega and the archipelago of Saint Brandon.
Location & Area:
- Southern Africa, island in the Indian Ocean, about 800 km (500 mi) east of Madagascar.
- It covers an area of 2,040 km2.
- Port Louis
- March 12 (Independence Day).
- Tropical, modified by southeast trade winds; warm, dry winter (May to November); hot, wet, humid summer (November to May).
- Small coastal plain rising to discontinuous mountains encircling central plateau.
- 1,364,283 (July 2018 estimate).
- Mauritius’s flag is four equal horizontal bands of red (top), blue, yellow, and green.
- Mauritian rupee (MUR)
- It is divided into 9 districts includes; Black River, Flacq, Grand Port, Moka, Pamplemousses, Plaines Wilhems, Port Louis, Riviere du Rempart and Savanne, and 3 dependencies includes; Agalega Islands, Cargados Carajos Shoals and Rodrigues.
- Mauritius has several previous constitutions, latest adopted on March 12, 1968, and amended several times, most recently in 2016.
- Parliamentary Republic.
President of Mauritius:
- It is a member in several international and regional organizations, for example:
African Union (AU), COMESA, Commonwealth, Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Arable land and fish.
- Main exports: Clothing and textiles, sugar, cut flowers, molasses and fish.
- Main imports: Manufactured goods, capital equipment, foodstuffs, petroleum products and chemicals.
- Industries: Food processing (largely sugar milling), textiles, clothing, mining, chemicals, metal products, transport equipment, nonelectrical machinery and tourism.