The Federal Republic of Somalia, the easternmost country on mainland Africa is situated on the peninsula known as the Horn of Africa.
Location & Area:
- Eastern Africa, bordering the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean, east of Ethiopia.
- It covers an area of 637,657 km2.
- July 1
- Principally desert; northeast monsoon (December to February), moderate temperatures in north and hot in south; southwest monsoon (May to October), torrid in the north and hot in the south, irregular rainfall, hot and humid periods (tangambili) between monsoons.
- Mostly flat to undulating plateau rising to hills in north.
- 11,259,029 (July 2018 estimate)
- Somali (official);
- Arabic (official);
- Somalia’s flag is light blue with a large white five-pointed star in the center.
- Somali Shilling (SOS)
- It is divided into 18 regions includes; Awdal, Bakool, Banaadir, Bari, Bay, Galguduud, Gedo, Hiiraan, Jubbada Dhexe (Middle Jubba), Jubbada Hoose (Lower Jubba), Mudug, Nugaal, Sanaag, Shabeellaha Dhexe (Middle Shabeelle), Shabeellaha Hoose (Lower Shabeelle), Sool, Togdheer, Woqooyi Galbeed.
- It is latest drafted on June 12, 2012 and approved on August 1, 2012 (provisional).
- Federal Parliamentary Republic
President of Somalia:
- Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
- Uranium, reserves of iron ore, tin, gypsum, bauxite, copper, salt, natural gas and likely oil reserves.
- Agriculture products: Bananas, sorghum, corn, coconuts, rice, sugarcane, mangoes, sesame seeds, beans; cattle, sheep, goats and fish.
- Industries: Light industries, including sugar refining, textiles and wireless communication.
- Main exports: Livestock, bananas, hides, fish, charcoal and scrap metal.
- Main imports: Manufactures, petroleum products, foodstuffs, construction materials and qat.