Thursday, August 29, 2019
- Current President of Liberia, George Weah had an unforgettable football journey. The former striker was born on October 1, 1966 in the Liberian capital Monrovia.
Professional football career
- In 1981, he started his football career, playing for the Liberian club Young Survivors Claratown.
- Then he joined the Ivorian side Africa Sports, before he landed in Europe, playing for the French Monaco in 1992.
- Then he moved to the French Paris Saint-Germain and won with the team the Coupe de France in 1993 and 1995, the French League in 1994.
- He then joined the Italian giant AC Milan, where he made stunning performance for which he was awarded the FIFA World Player of the Year in 1995 and won with the Italian club the Italian league twice.
- He is the only player in the world to win three titles in one season as he was awarded the best player in the world, Africa and Europe; hence he was named King George.
- He was also voted the African Player of the Century by sport journalists from all over the world.
- He played with Liberia national team from 1987 for 54 games, scoring 13 goals; he was named as one of the best players who never played at the World Cup though.