The greatest midfield playmaker Tunisia has ever had, Tarek Dhiab was born on July 15, 1954, starring for the Tunisian side “Esperance”. He is best remembered as part of the Tunisian national team that became the first African team to win a game in the 1978 FIFA World Cup.
His professional career
- Dhiab played for the Tunisian side Esperance from 1972 till 1978, scoring 43 goals in 155 games.
- In 1978, he was part of the team that won Mexico 3/1 in the FIFA 1978 World Cup, being the first African team to do so.
- In 1977, he was chosen the African Footballer of the Year when he was 23 years old.
- In 1978, he moved to the Saudi club “Ahly Jeddah” for two seasons and won the King’s Cup with the Saudi side.
- In 1980, he returned to the Tunisian side Esperance and played for 10 years, scoring 84 goals in 272 games.
- He was chosen the Tunisian Footballer of the 20th century